At Canva, we create tools that empower the world to design. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform! Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013 we have grown exponentially, amassing over 15 million users across 179 different countries who have created more than 1 billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we are capable of!
About the team
Canva Studio provides bespoke design solutions for our most valuable clients, as a top tier creative agency within Canva. We partner with big brands and enterprises to set them up for success, creating a home for their brand in Canva, and designing assets across print, digital, video and presentations—working with them to ensure that their business has everything they need to create beautiful designs in Canva.
About the role
You will direct the creation of the world’s best collection of designs and content, by working with our talented Enterprise team of product managers, designers, copywriters and content specialists in Sydney and Manila. Your designs will be used by millions of people in enterprises around the world.
You’ll have the opportunity to lead the Canva Studio to the next level, guiding and growing designers, and ensuring each job is executed to the highest standards of creativity and usability. You’ll partner with our clients to understand their needs, and you’ll work collaboratively to develop a range of collateral for them that suits their business perfectly. Where they need guidance on the latest design trends, you’ll be there to provide advice and take their brand to the next level.
This is an amazing opportunity to lead and grow a talented creative team, in an environment that rewards initiative, creativity, and independence.
What you'll be doing
- Direct design on key template projects across the Canva Studio
- Liaise with clients alongside account managers to understand their creative needs, and develop an effective brief for your team
- Understand and respond to client feedback with accuracy and empathy, developing designs and templates that will help to make them successful
- Work with the Studio Manager and manage your team in order to execute jobs successfully on deadline and to brief
- Brief a design team to create beautiful and usable animated and static templates
- Brief and manage the asset creation process with our internal and external sources of imagery, music tracks, video footage, stickers, and animations, — so that we have the best assets to work with
- Provide design feedback to team members with sensitivity and honesty, helping them to grow and develop their skills
- Own curation and quality assurance for templates
- Work closely with the team developing Canva’s product – and ensure that our templates evolve with and inform our features
- Research competitors, trends, patterns and best-practises, visual/interaction design inspiration, user and business insights
- Ensure our designers create with usability requirements in mind
- Produce and integrate effective & efficient design practices
- Support the team’s scalability through documentation and process improvement.
Experience you'll need
- At least 5+ years experience as a Senior Designer, Design Lead, or Art Director, directing strategy and design across a team.
- Deep understanding of design and the latest industry and social trends. You’ll be across every platform, with profound insight on what makes a design successful
- A portfolio demonstrating your passion for designing clean, elegant, and beautiful designs.
- Experience in a managerial role leading creatives, and communicating design feedback to encourage designers to improve their work in accordance with design fundamentals
- Familiarity with preparing files for print, and working in a CMYK colour space
- Experience briefing photographers, videographers, and illustrators to create assets for your team to use
- An understanding of various video and social media publishing platforms, so that your content can be designed to better engage & reach audiences