About the team
The Video Team at Canva is on a mission to make amazing visual storytelling accessible for everyone. With millions of users using Canva everyday, this is an opportunity to redefine visual and animated communication, and have a global impact on the way people create content for video platforms.
About the role
You will direct the creation of the world’s highest quality collection of video templates by working with a talented team of product managers, animation, motion, and graphic designers, copywriters and content specialists in Sydney and Manila. Your designs will be used by millions of people around the world.
Set the trends that people follow to communicate ideas. You’ll be responsible for the creative direction of all video and animated templates, and will be researching, ideating and articulating what makes a beautiful storytelling template for video platforms - then directing our talented creative team to bring them to life.
You’ll work closely with the product teams to understand their roadmaps and ensure that our templates evolve and inform new features. You’ll create and refine our template style guides; and take initiative to raise the bar on design quality, and propose and implement strategies to improve workflow and process.
Goals of the role
Goal #1: Set the quality bar by defining a design style guide for video templates
Create a style guide to set the quality bar for what makes a great video
Collaborate with Video PM to include content requirements
Goal #2: Research and define a roadmap for 2021
Research trends in video categories, and propose recommendations for Canva categories and campaigns
Communicate to the design team how video templates should look, feel and be used; defining new standards for high quality and easy-to-use templates in the video category
Goal #3: Creative direction for new video and social media templates
Using qualitative and quantitative data, work with Video PM to create a roadmap of video templates we want to create.
These should include market research on the most popular video trends and platforms in the market. This can also involve spearheading the creation of a new social media & video trend.
Work with the template design team to create new video templates through briefs and day-to-day operations & management.
Goal #4: Partner with our internal creative studio to create custom video, animated sticker, & audio content
Video templates require videos, animated stickers, and audio -- which are all new content types on Canva that must be sourced.
Work with our team to source or create the necessary assets to make amazing video templates.
- Define design direction on key template projects across the Video Group at Canva.
- Brief and manage a design team to create beautiful and usable video templates.
- Systematize and manage the process with our internal and external sources of music tracks, video footage, stickers, text animations, and scene transitions — so that we have the best assets to work with.
- Own curation and quality assurance for video and animated templates.
- Work closely with the product team developing Canva’s video tool – and ensure that our templates evolve with and inform our features such as our Animations and Transitions library.
- Research competitors, trends, patterns and best-practises, visual/interaction design inspiration, user and business insights.
- Roll videography and storytelling principles into a set of best practices and operational guidelines to raise the bar of beautiful video templates.
- Ensure our designers create with usability requirements in mind.
- Produce and integrate effective & efficient design practices.
- Create style guides for other designers to utilize and follow.
- Support the team’s scalability through documentation and process improvement.
You'll love this job if you ...
- At least 5 + years experience as a Creative Director, Design Lead, Design Director or Senior Designer creating a wide range of digital materials, ideally for video or animated content
- Experience leading other designers and can effectively communicate design feedback and encourages designers to improve their work in accordance to design fundamentals.
- Deep understanding of video. You’ll need to figure out how music plays with visuals, motion design, video ads, and text animations
- An understanding of various video publishing platforms, so that your content can be designed to better engage & reach audiences.
- Understand the key principles of visual storytelling and motion design principles
- A strong portfolio demonstrating your passion for designing clean, elegant, and beautiful designs
- You have a keen understanding of user interaction and the importance of usability and UX.
- A passion for improving and streamlining processes. You have the thinking to scale a process up to deliver sustainable throughput.
- Have proven yourself and have seen projects from concept to completion. You are able to push creative ideas and think beyond just design execution.
- Advanced design sense and mastery of fundamental design principles: typography, color, conceptual graphic design, and motion.
- Can communicate your vision for quality to other designers effectively.
- A team-player — you enjoy collaborative working environments and idea exchanges.