About the team
Our mission is to make amazing visual storytelling accessible for everyone. With millions of users using Canva everyday, this is an opportunity to redefine visual communication and have a global impact on the way people create content for video and social media platforms.
You will direct the creation of the world’s best collection of video and social media templates by working with a talented team of product managers, designers, copywriters and content specialists in Sydney and Manila. Your design templates will be used by millions of people around the world.
Set the trends that people follow to communicate ideas. You’ll be responsible for researching, ideating and articulating what makes a beautiful storytelling template for videos and social media platform, and bringing them to life.
You’ll work closely with the product teams to understand their roadmaps and ensure that our templates evolve and inform new features. You’ll create and refine our template style guides; and take initiative to propose and implement strategies to improve workflow and process.
- Direct design on key template projects across the Video Group at Canva.
- Brief a design team to create beautiful and usable video and social media templates.
- Systematize and manage the process with our internal and external sources of music tracks, video footage, stickers, text animations, and scene transitions — so that we have the best assets to work with.
- Own curation and quality assurance for video & social media templates.
- Work closely with the product team developing Canva’s video tool – and ensure that our templates evolve with and inform our features such as our Animations and Transitions library.
- Research competitors, trends, patterns and best-practises, visual/interaction design inspiration, user and business insights.
- Roll videography and storytelling principles into a set of best practices and operational guidelines to raise the bar of beautiful video templates.
- Ensure our designers create with usability requirements in mind.
- Produce and integrate effective & efficient design practices.
- Create style guides for other designers to utilize and follow.
- Support the team’s scalability through documentation and process improvement.
You'll love this role if
- Have a knack for storytelling through visual mediums
- Know how to flex video editing and graphic design muscles
- Understand the key principles of visual storytelling, especially for creating engaging content on video and social media platforms
- Have an eye for current aesthetic trends, and understands how popular culture works and shapes society’s visual language
- Have a strong stylistic approach. Beyond trends, you’ll have a strong foundation in what makes a good design, based on design principles and elements.
- Put users first – Understand user thinking and interaction to improve usability.
- Effectively communicate and articulate ideas or solutions to challenges.
- Effectively communicate design feedback and encourages designers to improve their work in accordance to design fundamentals.
- Think on your feet and applies learnings and improvement initiatives on the fly.
- Proactively engage in team initiatives and creates guides to streamline and improve our process.
- Feel confident to try new things and big ideas
Skills & experience we’re looking for
- 4 + years experience as a lead creating video and social media content for a diverse range of digital marketing channels
- A strong video reel showcasing your passion for taking beautiful footage, video editing, motion design, and storytelling
- A strong portfolio demonstrating your passion for designing clean, elegant, and beautiful designs
- A passion for improving and streamlining processes. You have the thinking to scale a process up to deliver sustainable throughput.
- Have proven yourself and have seen projects from concept to completion. You are able to push creative ideas and think beyond just design execution.
- An understanding of various video and social media publishing platforms, so that your content can be designed to better engage & reach audiences.
- Advanced design sense and mastery of fundamental design principles: typography, color, conceptual graphic design, and layout creation.
- Can communicate your vision for quality to other designers effectively.
- Understands what makes a good design, fundamentally and culturally. You know what’s currently trending and know which visuals are appropriate for what context.
- A team-player — you enjoy collaborative working environments and idea exchanges.