About the team
Our mission is to make amazing visual storytelling accessible for everyone. With millions of users using Canva everyday, this is an opportunity to redefine visual communication and have a global impact on the way people create content for video and social media platforms.
You will direct the creation of the world’s best collection of video and social media templates by working with a talented team of product managers, designers, copywriters and content specialists in Sydney and Manila. Your design templates will be used by millions of people around the world.
Set the trends that people follow to communicate ideas. You’ll be responsible for researching, ideating and articulating what makes a beautiful storytelling template for videos and social media platform, and bringing them to life.
You’ll work closely with the product teams to understand their roadmaps and ensure that our templates evolve and inform new features. You’ll create and refine our template style guides; and take initiative to propose and implement strategies to improve workflow and process.
- #1: Set the quality bar by defining a design style guide for Canva video
- Create a style guide to set the quality bar for what makes a great video
- Collaborate with Video PM to include content requirements
- #2: Research and define a roadmap for Autumn, Winter, and Spring of 2020
- Research trends in video categories, and propose recommendations for Canva categories and campaigns
- Research trends in social media content, and propose recommendations for campaigns
- #3: Art direction for new video and social media templates
- Using qualitative and quantitative data, work with Video PM to create a roadmap of video templates we want to create.
- These should include market research on the most popular videos in the market; and the most popular social media designs in the market. This can also involve spearheading a social media & video trend.
- Work with the template design team to create new video templates through briefs and day-to-day operations & management.
- #4: Partner with asset creators to create custom video, sticker, & audio content
- Video templates require videos, stickers, and audio — which are all new content types on Canva that must be sourced.
- Work with our marketplace team to source necessary assets to create amazing video and social media templates.
You'll love this job if you ...
- At least 5 + years experience as a Design Lead, Design Director or Senior Designer creating a wide range of digital materials, ideally for video and social content
- Have experience leading other designers and can effectively communicate your design vision with a team
- Deep understanding of video. You’ll need to figure out how music plays with visuals, motion design, video ads, and text animations
- Understand the key principles of visual storytelling and motion design principles
- A strong portfolio demonstrating your passion for designing clean, elegant, and beautiful designs
- You have a keen understanding of user interaction and the importance of usability and UX.
- A passion for improving and streamlining processes. You have the thinking to scale a process up to deliver sustainable throughput.
- Have proven yourself and have seen projects from concept to completion. You are able to push creative ideas and think beyond just design execution.
- Advanced design sense and mastery of fundamental design principles: typography, color, conceptual graphic design, and motion.
- A team-player — you enjoy collaborative working environments and idea exchanges.