One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we’re yet to build. A big part of the design team at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
There is a magic that occurs where design and engineering collide – that has been the philosophy that has driven the success of a lot of our product experiences. We’re looking for someone who understands this magic and can work within the design team to help craft experiences that are detailed, polished, and push the boundaries of what’s technically possible, plus inspire teams and leaders to invest in new ideas.
As a creative developer you’ll be collaborating with all of our product designers to come up with interesting solutions to design problems, prototype new ideas, and figure out the details that go into a good design before they get fully built. You’ll also be an invaluable bridge between the design and engineering teams, helping the full vision of the design team to roll out to our millions of users.
What you'll be doing:
- Actively participate in concept development and design iteration as part of a cross-functional team.
- Working closely with design, product, and engineering teams to translate conceptual ideas into interactive prototypes that set to ‘wow’ millions of Canva users
- Partner with engineering to ensure that interactive technologies translate through to shipping products and experiences
- Helping to realise our product design vision with an engineering lens
- Be able to work creatively through and around perceived limitations and/or challenges imposed by the delivery platform to create delightful experiences for customers.
- Developing documentation and processes for our design system
- Researching how new technologies will help our users to create better designs
We'd love it if you had:
- A portfolio of work that demonstrates how you have used technology to create design solutions
- Experience delivering detailed and high-quality interactive experiences with a deep passion for code and creativity.
- 4+ years writing code within a design-focused environment, as a member of the design team or a Front-end Engineer working closely with Designers.
- A strong sense of design and an ability to add valuable interactive polish to static designs
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Free yoga and use of onsite gym
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals for you and your family