At Canva, we create tools that empower the world to design. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform! Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013 we have grown exponentially, amassing over 20 million active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 2 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we are capable of!
The role & team
Canva is looking for a talented Global Director of Communications to lead our external and internal communications efforts across our key markets and offices. This person will have experience developing a global strategy, shaping messaging, and building and empowering distributed teams.
You and your team will be the keepers of Canva’s brand. While we’re well known in Australia, we have a long way to go to reach our mission to be the most loved brand in the world. You’ll introduce our product, mission, and culture to millions of people, leading our push into the US. You’ll help build and scale a global strategy and support the growth of all our external communications to deliver localised approaches across product, corporate, consumer and enterprise worldwide, and facilitate internal comms across our offices in the US, the Philippines, China, and Australia.
As Global Director of Communications, you’ll work closely with our founders and leadership to help shape a global communications strategy for Canva. You’ll help develop annual and quarterly Communications plans, and build a high performing and engaged team to help you execute.
This role will be primarily based in our HQ in Sydney, Australia, with regular travel to the US and other markets.
What you'll do:
- Lead our Global communications strategy and partner closely with the Founders and leadership to support both our short and long-term business strategy
- Build multiple strong, strategic narratives that cement Canva as the platform to power the modern workforce
- Own Canva’s brand pillars (Human, Inspiring, Empowering) and ensure they are being reflected in all our communications
- Build out a localised communications strategy across our key growth markets.
- Develop, coach, and support teams with standards, processes, and the right infrastructure to have the biggest possible impact.
- Empower Canva’s social media and community team to help boost brand affinity, grow our online communities and and build on Canva’s organic channels
- Build a content engine to continuously deliver high value thought leadership content to drive general awareness, and support our enterprise teams with quality leads
- Develop a hiring roadmap for the communications team and build a highly engaged and performing team to achieve our goals
- Act as a spokesperson where required, representing Canva in media, with our community and to investors
- Partner with our Director of Media Partnerships and Development, as well as our Design School team to roll out training in newsrooms across key markets
- Support high-level business partnerships by providing strategic counsel and execution to help further awareness and credibility through new alliances
- Support analyst and local (Australia) government relationsMeasure and report on key success and failure metrics over time
What we're looking for:
- 10+ years experience in leading Global PR & Communications strategy and teams, with around 3 years in a Director role or similar
- Experience launching products for global, world-class brands, and driving campaigns, communications and go-to-market initiatives
- You’ll understand the world of product, corporate, consumer, enterprise and internal communications and have demonstrated experience in developing strategies that deliver the objectives of each
- You are comfortable taking story ideas from concept to launch – creating themes that can play through PR, social media, executive keynotes, general marketing, and internal messaging.
- You’re a great connector – you’ll bring the right partners to build on Canva’s strategic comms directives, and know who to approach for external support
- You’ll have a wealth of existing notable media connections, preferably across the US; EMEA and APAC regions a plus
- A natural leader who can rally teams of all kinds (including external agencies), and influence and work with a wide range of stakeholders, including the founders, speciality leads, product teams, sales, customer service, email, marketing product design, engineering etc to deliver on communications campaigns in time
- Outcomes and results focussed. You know how to prioritize strategy and goals for teams and rally everyone to focus on the highest impact things.
- You’ll have incredible organisational skills and attention to detail and be able to balance the big picture with getting the important things right
- Competitive salary, plus equity options in one of the world’s fastest growing Technology companies
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Free Yoga membership
- Professional education allowance
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices including a garden, climbing wall, unisex toilets
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided for interstate or overseas candidates