At Canva we work to make a significant positive impact on society. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creation.
Since launching in April 2013 we have grown exponentially, and the journey has only just begun. Join Canva, and be part of this adventure. We are one of the world’s fastest growing startups.Your colleagues, like you, will be the top of the industry. It is important to us that we create a workplace that you love coming to.
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed and constantly improved to let you do your best work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love. Just check out our Twitter stream.
Engineering is a core part of who we are. You will work with a carefully selected team of ex-Google, VMware, ThoughtWorks, and Atlassian engineers. The team takes pride in its focus on engineering fundamentals. We strive to use the most appropriate tools for the tasks at hand, and to strike a measured balance between getting things done and long term maintainability. The team is tight, with no big egos, and welcomes engineers to come and join in on the adventure. Engineers frequently host sessions where a new idea or software engineering practice is discussed — this ensures that everyone in the team is constantly learning.
We work hard to get our fundamentals right across the business. Consequently, the frontend code base is constantly being improved and optimised so new features can be implemented easily. We also have a flat structure where engineers are invited to comment on the direction their peers are taking on features. When a new feature is being built, engineers review each other’s code; this ensures that knowledge is shared and it doesn’t need to be reworked. You can find more about our engineering practices in this blog article.
- Work with product designers and founders to build a next-generation web application with a focus on an extraordinary client-side experience
- Build efficient and reusable front end abstractions and systems
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Communicate with other team members to figure out the best solutions to difficult problems
- Help to identify and communicate standard practices and methodologies for front end engineering
- Interact with our back end systems
- Experience developing rich applications with HTML/CSS/JS
- Intimate knowledge of cross-browser and cross-device development
- Ability to write high-performance, reusable code for UI components, including appropriate testing
- Passion for performance debugging and benchmarking
- Minimum two years experience
- Computer science fundamentals
- Experience with SVGs
- Experience with graphics programming
- Experience with GLSL / WebGL
- Experience with Java
- An interest in interaction design
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Gym and yoga facilities onsite
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices including a social are, unisex toilets
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided and visa application fees covered
- Annual salary: $80,000 to $130,000. Plus Superannuation and Stock Options