At Canva we work to make a significant positive impact on society. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creation.
Since launching in April 2013 we have grown exponentially, and the journey has only just begun. Join Canva, and be part of this adventure. We are one of the world’s fastest growing startups.Your colleagues, like you, will be the top of the industry. It is important to us that we create a workplace that you love coming to.
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed and constantly improved to let you do your best work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love. Just check out our Twitter stream.
Engineering is a core part of who we are. You will work with a carefully selected team of ex-Google, VMware, ThoughtWorks, Facebook and Atlassian engineers among others. The team takes pride in its focus on engineering fundamentals. We strive to use the most appropriate tools for the tasks at hand, and to strike a measured balance between getting things done and long term maintainability. The team is tight, with no big egos, and welcomes engineers to come and join in on the adventure. Engineers frequently host sessions where a new idea or software engineering practice is discussed — this ensures that everyone in the team is constantly learning.
We work hard to get our fundamentals right across the business. Consequently, the frontend code base is constantly being improved and optimised so new features can be implemented easily. We also have a flat structure where engineers are invited to comment on the direction their peers are taking on features. When a new feature is being built, engineers review each other’s code; this ensures that knowledge is shared and it doesn’t need to be reworked. You can find more about our engineering practices in this blog article.
The Performance team is a new group in Canva and you will be exploring new parts of the engineering environment. Looking into our performance metrics, improving the way we measure them. Finding ways to improve page load and user feature interaction times. Evangelising web performance, talking about the newest ways to improve things and helping out teams and individuals to do better in their feature performance. Talking with peers, discussing strategies and new things to pursue, and submitting design documents on adopting them to Web Foundations.
- You’ve worked with React (or at least understand why it’s important). Bonus points if you’re toyed around with React Hooks or even Suspense.
- You have extensive experience working with the performance profiling and debugging tools in your web browser of choice — tools like Chrome DevTools, Lighthouse, WebPageTest, and others.
- You understand what bottlenecks the main thread, from the browser rendering parts to the code execution handling.
- You are a strong communicator and are equally comfortable talking with your immediate team, other frontend engineers, or even backend infrastructure engineers.
- You understand that the perfect solution is informed by the people who will be building on your work, rather than being purely dependent on technical merits. Empathy is a feature.
- Bonus points if you have experience with automating highlighting deeper performance issues to teams with clear action items.
- Experience developing rich applications with HTML/CSS/JS
- Intimate knowledge of cross-browser and cross-device development
- Ability to write high-performance, reusable code for UI components, including appropriate testing
- Passion for performance debugging and benchmarking
- Minimum two years experience
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science / Software Engineering or a related field
- Experience with SVGs
- Experience with graphics programming
- Experience with GLSL / WebGL
- Experience with Java
- An interest in interaction design
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Gym and yoga facilities onsite
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices including a social are, unisex toilets
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided and visa application fees covered
- Annual salary: $80,000 to $130,000 Plus Superannuation and Stock Options