At Canva, we work everyday to make a significant positive impact on society. With a team of ex-Google, Atlassian, Thoughtworks, and JetBrains engineers from all over the world, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity. We do this through a powerful online design platform where precision engineering, user experience, and systems performance are front-of-mind each and every day.
Engineering is a core part of who we are. We work hard to have a best of breed engineering culture. The engineering team takes pride in its focus on engineering fundamentals. The team strives to use the most appropriate tools for the tasks at hand, and to strike a measured balance between getting things done and long term maintainability. The team is tight, with no big egos, and welcomes self-driven engineers to come and join in on the adventure. Frequently engineers host engineering forums where new ideas, practices, and technologies are discussed – ensuring everyone on the team is continually learning and evolving.
The Canva code base was setup to scale; from day one. This has allowed for a unique environment where engineers spend most of their time optimising performance and releasing new features rather than fixing legacy code. This also ensures that it’s just more fun working on the code base. We also have a flat structure where engineers are invited to comment on the direction their peers are taking and are paired for pair-reviewing to occur. This ensures that knowledge around the code base is shared and speed of release occurs. You can find more about our engineering practices in this blog article (Medium Blog).
At present, we have over 10 million users, across web and mobile platforms, in 30 languages, in over 100 countries and we're growing exponentially. Why aren't you a part of that?
What you will do:
- Work with product designers and founders to build a next-generation web application with a focus on an exceptional user experience
- Build efficient and reusable front end abstractions and systems
- Participate in creating of design documents, build and develop the solutions you’ve created, and participate in code reviews
- Communicate with other team members to determine the best solutions to difficult problems
- Identify and communicate best practices for front and backend engineering
- Use a spacer.gif in our email templates every now and then 🙂
- A strong understanding of computer science fundamentals, with a strong understanding of concurrency, performance, data structures and design patterns
- Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills
- An analytical, yet creative, approach to problem solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- BONUS: Broader generalist knowledge of cloud, networking, and operating systemsCloud Infrastructure – AWS, Google, or Azure
- BONUS: Backend / Fullstack experience with Java is ideal, but not necessary – many of our engineers come from C#, Ruby, and PHP backgrounds
- BONUS: A strong appreciation and understanding of UI and UX fundamentals
- BONUS: Experience building consumer-focused web applications
- Equity in one of the fastest growing startups in the world
- Fitness subsidy
- Professional learning allowance
- 2 In-house chefs – with breakfast and lunch served every day (https://www.instagram.com/canvalife/)
- Company trips
- Relocation budget
- Salary from $80,000 AUD depending on experience
- Visa application processes covered