At Canva, we work every day to make a significant positive impact on society. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for everyone on every computing platform!
Since launch in April 2013 we have grown exponentially, amassing over 10 million users in over 100 languages, making us one of the world's fastest growing technology companies. We're growing rapidly and building a product that users really love -- just check out Twitter!
As a Graduate Software Engineer, you will have the opportunity to work alongside carefully selected engineers from the likes of Google, JetBrains, Yandex, Atlassian, Amazon, Facebook, and popular technology houses from all over the world. You will get the opportunity to learn and apply best-practice software engineering, focused on strong software engineering fundamentals and pragmatism.
You will also have the opportunity to do meaningful work and build features and functionality that impacts millions of users around the world. Since the Canva code base was built to scale from day one, our engineers get to spend their time optimising performance and releasing new features rather than fixing legacy code. We also have a flat structure where engineers are invited to comment on the direction their peers are taking and are paired for peer-reviewing of code to occur. This ensures that knowledge around the code base is shared and speed of release is quick and efficient. To dig into the in and outs of engineering at Canva, here's an article written by our CTO, Dave, discussing how we get things done.
You'll be working on a massive distributed backend environment - built on Java microservices, hosted on AWS, and utilizing a variety of tools, technologies, services, and libraries. We've got some nifty bespoke components that do a bit of magic as well!
You'll love this job if you
- Have strong Computing and Object Oriented Programming (OOP) Fundamentals
- Are comfortable working in Java, but a background in any language is fine!
- Are happy to roll the sleeves up and dive into java.util.concurrent from time to time
- Are comfortable in a merit-based environment where opinions are valued and best idea wins
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Have the desire to grow as a technologist and learn from arguably one of the strongest engineering teams in Australia!
- AWS or Google Cloud experience
- Experience working with databases – SQL and/or NoSQL is fine!
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Fitness membership allowance, plus free Yoga and Boxing Gym membership
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations