At Canva, we create tools that empower the world to design. Our mission is to make design simple for everyone. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Launched in August 2013, our platform combines a drag-and-drop design tool that is used by more than 20 million users across 190 different countries who have created more than 2 Billion designs (that’s 40 designs created every second). And we’ve only achieved about 1% of what we’re capable of …
About The People Team and The Role
The People Team has a big mission to build the most effective and engaged company in the world! Our success is finding, growing and empowering the best engineers, designers, product managers, growth marketers and operators in the world. We're looking for an experienced Head of Internal Communications to join our team.
As the Head of Internal Communications for Canva, you will be a champion of Canva’s culture and values. You’ll be responsible for developing and executing an effective internal communications strategy that informs, engages, and inspires our employees, and helps keep our culture special as we grow. You’ll partner closely with our founders, speciality leads and our People team to develop and implement communication campaigns that will celebrate and recognize our one-of-a kind culture and deliver engaging and compelling messaging through a variety of platforms globally.
You’ll love this role if..
You thrive in a fast-moving, fluid environment, and are passionate about delivering information across an organisation to empower teams and individuals to be their best. You are an experienced and creative storyteller who thinks strategically, but is also prepared to roll up your sleeves and get things done. You’re calm under pressure and able to bring clarity to situations in a dynamic organisation, especially during periods of rapid change, ambiguity and uncertainty.
What you'll do:
- Create and deliver a compelling global internal communications strategy to keep our employees informed, engaged and feeling connected to our mission, vision and values.
- Own company-wide communications and manage internal communication cadence, calendar and channels (email, slack, newsletters, Glassdoor, company meetings, etc), that connect our employees around the world
- Work closely with the founders to develop, write and edit communications, including organisational and product narratives, speeches, emails, articles and slide presentations.
- Distill complex subjects into coherent and easy-to-understand language.
- Build scalable systems to improve context sharing, understanding and alignment across Canva
- Guide specialists across video, design, copywriting, motion design and learning design, internally, to roll out communication formats that help achieve our organisational goals
- Identify key messages or areas of impact, and help to distill thinking and prepare presentations and content, working with teams like Canva University, HR, program management, our specialty leads and others to disseminate – constantly keeping a finger on the pulse of the organisation and ensuring we’re seeing the right results from our efforts.
- Partner across the business and with external communications to discover, curate and share compelling stories about our company, our product, and our people.
- Coordinate multiple streams of information, weaving complex ideas into a story that can be easily understood by our global, diverse team.
- Measure and analyze the effectiveness of our internal communications strategy; continuously seek to increase impact
- Partner closely our People team to lead communication and change management campaigns to support the launch and on-going cadence of key People programs (performance, learning and development, engagement).
- Build and manage a highly engaged and effective team who can help scale initiatives and have maximum impact across Canva
- Support consistent messaging, and create systems that allow our various leadership groupings across Canva to be aligned, and best disseminate information.
What we're looking for:
- An expert communicator and storyteller, able to speak to a global audience and reflect the company’s voice in a wide range of media, formats and context.
- Ability to think strategically (beyond just the here and now), and synthesise lots of complex information to come up with solutions with tangible impact.
- 8+ years of experience in strategic communications (including 3+ in internal communications), preferably in a fast-paced, high-growth environment.
- Able to influence and work with a wide range of stakeholders, including the founders, speciality leads, teams, and our People team functions (Team Happiness, Canva University, Coaching, Vibe etc.)
- A data driven and results focused mindset. Must have prior experience with both quantitative and qualitative data — tracking, measuring and evaluating outcomes to demonstrate impact.
- Incredible organisational skills and attention to detail with the ability to balance the big picture with getting the important details right.
- While we won’t be taking any blood samples, we’d love to see some Startup DNA – you will need to be flexible, pragmatic, strategic, tenacious, and take ownership of deliverables and outcomes.
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Professional education allowance
- Free Yoga membership
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team eventsFun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided for interstate or overseas candidates and visa application fees covered