At Canva, we empower the world to design. Our mission is to democratise design, and empower creativity for anyone on any platform. Inspired by a team of talented creatives, an amazing culture, and remarkable growth trajectory—we’re one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we are hoping to do!
About the team
The mission of the International Template Design Team is to make Canva feel like home for non English users all over the world. The team produces the templates for our top non English markets in Europe, Central and South America, and Asia.
We need the help of talented Junior Designers to help bring exciting local campaigns and projects to life, execute professionally designed and usable templates for local users.
Joining our design team means you contribute to empowering everyone to create beautiful and usable designs right at their fingertips.
Check out what the Manila templates team has done the past few months here!
About the Role
As a Junior Designer, you will be part of a vibrant and friendly creative studio, producing beautiful templates with local users in mind. You will be conceptualizing campaigns with our growth team in Manila as well as local teams in Brazil, Mexico, France, Germany, Russia, Indonesia, India, and Japan. You’ll have the opportunity to deliver a wide variety of creative campaigns, the excitement of learning hands on with a collaborative team, and the chance to create designs used by thousands every day.
We need someone who is passionate about beginning their design career at one of the fastest-growing start-ups in the world - eager to grow and learn, and excited to work alongside a global team of talented designers.
What you’ll do as our Junior Designer:
- Work with our template designers and assisting the team in creating and delivering template design projects and campaigns
- Recreate client’s templates in Canva for them to use
- Contribute to design research, and learn how to create strong and effective mood boards and briefs
- Create high-quality designs and templates that are tailored to and curated to campaigns and project briefs
- Review designs created by our designers and provide feedback for revisions
- Check for template usability before publishing
We'd love it if you have...
- 1+ years experience as a Junior Designer, Assistant Designer or equivalent;
- A portfolio demonstrating your passion for designing trendy, eye catching, and beautiful designs;
- Passion for design theory, color theory, typography, and research work;
- The ability to work collaboratively in a creative team environment;
- The ability to manage your time well to help the team hit deadlines;
- A great attitude to constructive criticism, and an eagerness to learn;
- Good communication skills, a positive attitude, and a passion for design.
Competencies for success
- We shortlist by reviewing not just your CV but more importantly, your portfolio. Quality over quantity matters more to us – so best to show us your best and most relevant graphic design works – throw in those layouts, social media posts, marketing collaterals, and even personal projects!
- You’re a hustler! You are adaptable and will work hard to hit your deadlines.
- You’re open to learn, and want to improve your design skills, and you’re keen to progress to higher levels in your career.
- Ability to speak a foreign language not required.
Hear more about our culture, the work we do in the Design specialty, straight from our Manila Designers!
- Equity options in one of the fastest growing startups in the world
- Fitness membership
- In-house chef
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
Quick tip! Set your application up for success by sending your CV along with your curated portfolio. If you have sample layout works of the following for us to get a better glimpse of your graphic design skills, we would absolutely love to see them:
- Magazine pages
- Book covers