At Canva, we create tools that empower the world to design. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform! Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013 we have grown exponentially, amassing over 10 million users across 179 different countries who have created more than 400 million designs. We are one of the world’s fastest growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we are capable of!
The road to creating stunningly beautiful content begins with a single template, but the journey is made faster with the help of perfect and easily customizable designs that empower users to create the content they need. Canva’s templates team aims to build the world’s best design marketplace with a library of designs that offer our users a wide variety of usable and dynamic content, and to do that, we need the help of talented designers that can create and curate amazing content, but also help pave the way for the future of our template library.
As a Layout Designer, you will:
- Create unique and original templates for various teams, themes, and topics
- Create design assets like illustrations and color palettes that help guide users in ensuring their designs are not only readable but also attractive and engaging
- Ensure the templates that we create are of the highest quality in terms of aesthetics and usability
- Support the team’s scalability through documentation and process improvement.
- Has an eye for current aesthetic trends, and understands how popular culture works and shapes society’s visual language
- Has a strong stylistic approach. Beyond trends, this designer should have a strong foundation in what makes a good design, based on design principles and elements
- Visualizes various unique design combinations from a set of pre-selected components
- Understands user thinking and interaction to improve usability
- Efficiently delivers output, maintains cadences, if not streamlining processes.
- Exhibits diligence in delivering output whether through design or quality assurance
- Effectively communicates and articulates ideas and challenges/blockersThinks on their feet and applies learnings and improvement initiatives on the fly
- Proactively engages in team initiatives and can work with very minimal supervision and offer suggestions to streamline and improve the processes.
- You have a stylistic approach and strong understanding of what makes a good design based on design fundamentals, principles and elements
- You have a keen understanding of design context based on visual, cultural, and popular trends
- You have an eye for design and can visualize unique content
- You have a keen understanding of user interaction and the importance of usability
- You can effectively simplify design concepts and articulate ideas and blockers
- You have a passion for improving and streamlining processes
- You enjoy collaborative working environments and idea exchanges