At Canva, we create tools that empower the world to design. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform! Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and remarkable growth trajectory – we are out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in April 2013 we have grown exponentially, amassing over 20 million active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 2 billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest growing technology companies.
The Legal team has a big mission is to protect and serve Canva and its key stakeholders, protecting Canva from external risks whilst balancing the need to best serve our teams willingness to move fast and make their crazy big goals happen.
As we continue to scale exponentially, we are looking for a Legal Counsel to join the team. As our Legal Counsel, you will support different groups and teams across offices and ensure that Canva as a business is set up for success.
This work is challenging and our execution on it is why the team won the award for its category at the 2019 Australian Corporate Counsel Awards. You’ll thrive in a fast-moving, fluid environment, and be passionate about practising the law in a commercial setting at the headquarters of one of the worlds fastest growing technology companies.
As our Legal Counsel, you will:
- Review, draft and manage commercial agreements
- Respond promptly to legal requests and providing commercial solutions
- Enjoy technical challenges, using every opportunity to ‘make complex things simple’
- Work closely with founders, team leads and external advisors
- Assist with Canva’s IP portfolio, including patent and trademark prosecution
- Provide support to Legal and the Security team for data breach response, management and remediation
- Provide advise on employment issues
- Provide legal support on strategic projects, often working to tight timeframes
- Be a champion of implementing best legal practices and education to the business
- Focus on continuous improvement including contract templatisation
You'll like this role if:
- You have 3-5 years experience in commercial contracts law within a reputable private practice firm or in-house
- You are technically excellent in commercial contracts law while being prepared to roll up your sleeves to get things done
- You are excited by the challenge of the role and are keen to develop it and grow it as Canva continues to scale
- You possess strong client building skills and you have experience working directly with your stakeholders and have proven your ability to engage others using your excellent oral and written communication skills
- You are resourceful, self-motivated with exceptional time management skills.
- You can work well in a team but are capable of working autonomously
- You have demonstrated an ability to exercise good judgment under intense pressure
- You enjoy solving difficult problems and recognise the importance of offering commercial and strategic legal advice.
- You have a keen eye for detail, with good analytical skills
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Free meals everyday! We have talented In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us everyday.
- Gym membership allowance
- Professional education allowance
- Mental health benefit through employee assistance program.
- Competitive HMO and Leave benefits
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Countless fun and quirky celebrations
- Work in one of the coolest office in Makati!