Product Design at Canva
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we’re yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
Product designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers work closely with our engineers, data scientists, SEO specialists and product managers to ship great products, employing your research, brainstorming, sketching, and prototyping skills. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis, as well as wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
About the group and team
Our mission in the User Voice group is to ensure that every Canva user has a flawless experience. We are responsible for Canva’s help & support experiences; ensuring that every user has a voice that is heard within our company. Our work means connecting the people making Canva with the people who use it; hearing their feedback and providing the right help at the right time. User Voice is a new and fast growing group within Canva, so there’s plenty of room for newcomers to join and help define the future of our team.
Goals in the first 3-6 months
- Work with the team to embed design into all aspects of UV: mission, goals, strategy, and roadmap.
- Reimagine and improve our existing Help Centre experience, from its content through to its interface.
- Work with the team to define the future of our Assistant experience
- A portfolio that demonstrates experience in product thinking where you have previously shipped UX/UI design for digital products.
- Previous work that demonstrates a solid understanding of information architecture.
- Strong, demonstrable understanding of how content design and structure impacts user experience.
- You are a designer that is constantly inspired—motivating those around you through your passion and drive for what you do.
- You are excited by regularly coming up with new ideas, shipping new products and features that address your users’ real needs.
- You are an excellent communicator and collaborator with experience working closely with both product managers and engineers to deliver amazing experiences
- You shine through your designs—creating user flows and wireframes that simplify user interactions
- You are eager to visually communicate your ideas through prototypes to test with users.
- You thrive in a collaborative workplace; partnering with other designers, engineers, product developers and other disciplines throughout the company.
- You appreciate big picture thinking. While details are everything, creating an experience that always keeps our users in mind is equally as important.
- You are a problem solver that’s excited by a challenge. You enjoy sitting in a room and whiteboarding ideas to confidently come up with simple, elegant solutions that everyone can move forward with.
- You are an empathetic user advocate that values the backing of research and data analysis when it comes to designing modern solutions.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Free yoga and use of onsite gym
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals for you and your family