At Canva, we create tools that empower the world to design. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform! Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013 we have grown exponentially, amassing over 20 million active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 2 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we are capable of!
The team and role
Canva’s People Team is on a mission to build the most effective and engaged company in the world! Our success is in finding, growing and empowering the best engineers, designers, product specialists, growth marketers, sales & success professionals and operators to ship incredible products for our global design community. As part of the next exciting phase of our growth, we're looking for an experienced HR Business Partner to join our Austin based team and help take our US operations to the next level. You’ll be a champion of Canva’s values, working closely with our global People team and local leadership to design & launch programs that support all US Canvanauts to be successful at every point of the employee lifecycle.
You’ll thrive in a fast-moving, fluid environment, and be passionate about supporting teams and individuals to achieve their goals. You’ll think strategically and see the big picture, but you’re also prepared to roll up your sleeves and get things done.
As the ‘first boots on the ground’ in the US from a People group perspective, this is an incredible opportunity for an experienced HR professional to play a key role in the establishment, expansion and ongoing success of Canva in the US.
What you'll do:
- Help build a world-class people strategy that fully embodies our philosophies around empowerment, “minimum viable structure”, goal-driven organisation design etc. while contributing your unique insights from a People & Culture perspective
- Act as a single point of contact for people matters for our US team
- Work with your global People Partnering team and local leadership to identify challenges and opportunities across the US team and support the development of high impact people plans and strategies to maximise engagement
- Partner with leads to support their ongoing development, upskill them to deliver company-wide people programs, continually coaching and fostering a feedback culture
- Working with the broader People group, roll out and localise programs to enhance hiring, onboarding, performance, learning, and team growth & development
- Manage ER cases, guide and coach team leads on the full gamut of people opportunities and challenges, handling sensitive issues effectively and being a trusted advisor
Who you'll be:
- 8+ years experience in the people & culture space, ideally with 4 of these years supporting technology teams as a HR Business Partner
- You have a passion for developing great people and organisations
- Excellent understanding of HR programs including workforce planning and onboarding performance management, leadership development, organizational design & development, talent management, and compensation
- Deep knowledge and experience with employee relations and local labor laws
- Ability to think strategically and synthesise lots of complex information to come up with solutions with tangible impact
- Data driven and results focussed. Must have prior experience with both quantitative and qualitative data — tracking, measuring and evaluating outcomes to demonstrate impact
- You’ll have incredible organisational skills and attention to detail and be able to balance the big picture with short term focus / initiatives
- You demonstrate a high degree of judgement and can juggle a diverse range of priorities — a typical day could involve supporting someone with parental leave questions, dealing with a performance issue, and rolling out a new talent development program
- Able to influence and work with a wide range of stakeholders, including group and speciality leads, employees and our broader People team functions
- While we won’t be taking any blood samples, we’d love to see some startup DNA – you will need to be flexible, pragmatic, strategic, tenacious, and take ownership of deliverables and outcomes.
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours (we value work-life balance!)
- Professional education allowance
- Generous leave policies (sick days, holiday leave, parental leave, volunteer days)
- 401(k) Program