At Canva, we create tools that empower the world to design. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform! Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013 we have grown exponentially, amassing over 10 million active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 1 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we are capable of!
Product Management at Canva
The mission of Product Managers at Canva is to create the most accessible design tool for every person in the world. We believe that we can improve the world by empowering everyone to design and communicate visually. As a Product Manager at Canva you help set this vision, define what that future looks like, and build the products and features that get us there.
Product Managers collaborate with Canva’s founders to set the strategic direction, scope, and success metrics for product initiatives. We work across teams of designers, software engineers, marketers and analysts to ensure we're delivering an exceptional experience to all our users. We are responsible for implementing and collaborating on product strategy, road mapping, and prioritisation as our product grows.
It’s our responsibility to see products through their entire lifecycle—from concept through to validation, build, post-launch analytics and iterations.
As an integrated design platform, Canva contains 10s of millions of pieces of media in our public media library, and billions of pieces of user uploaded media: from photos, icons, videos, to stickers and fonts and more.
The Media Platform group owns the platform that stores, indexes, transforms and analyses the media inside Canva, as part of Canva’s mission to empower the world to Design Anything using Every Ingredient.
We partner with groups and teams across Canva to achieve their goals; recent examples include:
- Scaling up foundational backbone of Canva
- Extending the ways media can be shared within Canva to improve our “Teams” product
- Building an in-house video transcoding pipeline to scale our video product
- Ensuring we meet our obligations to our users and our legal/regulatory obligations by maintaining a secure platform
- Improving content discoverability
- Creating new ways to index and view media to support our App Store
- Extending our media metadata to support improved search and filtering
- ML approaches to analysing media to support improved search and editing use cases
The work our group does is incredibly high leverage, and we deliberately seek to identify general platform capabilities Canva needs now as well as into the future, as Canva grows to support new forms of media, new use cases, and new ways to design. You’ll be responsible for partnering with several product groups and teams across Canva to deliver value to users aligned with Canva’s mission and goals.
At Canva we constantly strive to make complex things simple. Wherever media is surfaced inside Canva, users should be able to simply search it, share it, organise it, annotate it, purchase it, upload their own, and more: wherever they are, whoever they are, on every device. What underlies these capabilities is the powerful infrastructure, technology and a group of passionate people driven to deliver the best user experience: that’s us.
- Serve as the domain expert for Media at Canva: understand the capabilities we support, what we’re building, and why
- Partner with product, technical, design and business stakeholders to prioritize and build what really matters
- Define a vision and strategy for new platform capabilities aligned with Canva’s mission & goals that delivers real value to our users
- Set the priorities and goals for our group and teams, track our progress, and manage stakeholder expectations
- You enjoy delivering value to users and laying a foundation for growth, whether that value comes from highly visible new features or platform improvements to support future use cases.
- You use data to support decisions and are comfortable aligning with stakeholders and making tough decisions about what we build.
- You see yourself as a product owner, and you’re eager to work with whoever it is across the company to get things done.
- You consider yourself organised, and enjoy the satisfaction of keeping a project on track.
What you'll achieve in your first 3-6 months...
- Understand our current platform capabilities & their use across Canva, work in flight and needs across the business, and how they align with Canva’s mission & goals
- Refine the long term vision and strategy for the Media platform, and partner with teams across the business to define new projects
- Launch new platform capabilities & unlock new features for users
You'll love this role if...
- You have 4+ years experience in product management of a software product, with bonus points for experience with rich media products
- You have exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- You’re experienced and comfortable with proactively engaging stakeholders and working cross-functionally with multiple teams
- A strong technical background will be advantageous for this role, particularly for understanding the trade-offs involved in building a platform to support 10s of millions of users