At Canva, we create tools that empower the world to design. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform! Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013 we have grown exponentially, amassing over 30 million active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 2 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we are capable of!
Canva is seeking a business-minded, technology focused lawyer to serve as our first Privacy & Product Counsel, who will take an entrepreneurial approach to product counseling and serve as a key voice in the room providing advice to Canva’s product and engineering teams. You will work on many of the most critical legal issues affecting Canva’s growth and success. You will join a dynamic legal team working on a variety of innovative legal issues across the entire company. You will be required to leverage your expertise, good judgement and strong business sense to assist product, engineering and other teams develop thoughtful strategies towards product development while assessing and mitigating legal risk.
What you'll do:
- Act as the primary legal advisor for Canva’s product and engineering teams, to help build scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of new products, while balancing user and policy considerations.
- Provide legal advice across a variety of subject areas, including data protection/privacy laws, intellectual property law, internet laws and regulations, consumer protection laws, and other global legal frameworks.
- Help lead our compliance efforts with respect to global privacy and data security laws and other product related regulations and industry standards, including assisting with ongoing compliance with ISO 27001.
- Serve as legal lead for our data management and retention practices.
- Participate in the review and coordination of potential privacy or data security incidents, including investigations, notifications, and other resolution efforts.
- Keep current on relevant industry standards, laws, and regulations.
- Provide support on data privacy related to commercial contracts, partnerships, integrations, and other matters.
- Develop and deliver training and scalable written guidance to internal clients.
What we're looking for:
- You have a strong technical background and significant hands-on privacy and product counseling experience at a rapidly growing technology company.
- You are excited to roll up your sleeves, learn the product and proactively identify and analyze opportunities and risks.
- You have excellent communication skills and can make complex communications simple.
- You are comfortable participating in cross-functional teams and partnering with members of the product and engineering teams.
- You are excited about learning new technologies and new areas of law and actively seek out opportunities to do that.
- You are a pragmatic, business minded lawyer who wants to help build our business.
- You are risk aware, not risk averse.
- You are a collaborative team player with strong interpersonal skills and collegial attitude.
- Admission to one bar
- 8+ years practicing law (though more experience is welcome)
- Extensive knowledge of key privacy regulations (e.g. GDPR, CCPA, LGPD and the Privacy Act (AU)) and desire to learn about privacy regulations in additional jurisdictions as we grow
- Hands on in-house experience at a rapidly growing technology company advising engineering and product teams on privacy and product related regulatory requirements
- Certified Information Privacy Professional
- Knowledge and understanding of Canva
- Relevant technical degree or high level of comfort with technology
- Opportunity to be part of one of the world’s fastest-growing tech companies.
- Your work will impact millions of Canva’s global users.
- Learn from and work with some of Australia’s best talent, including Canva’s founders, engineers, product and growth professionals.
- Equity in one of the fastest-growing companies in the world.
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balanceIn-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day.
- In-house Gym.
- Sponsored social clubs and team events.
- Fun and quirky celebrations.