Since launch in April 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing more than 18 million users in 190 different countries - making us one of the world's fastest-growing technology companies. With our recent USD$2.5 Billion valuation and entry into the coveted technology unicorn club, we're firmly focused on ensuring Canva remains the go-to place for all design needs on the web.
In order to do this, we must ensure the whole of Canva's web experience and presence is top-notch, seamless, delightful to the customer, and built on a scalable platform and infrastructure to ensure resiliency.
We are hiring a backend-focused engineer to join our Web Engineering team, which is wholly responsible for the development, maintenance, and optimization of Canva's wide array of high-volume web portals and the underlying infrastructure. These include the landing pages, Canva Design School, Color Wiki, Help Center, Careers Portal, Photo Tools, Blogs, Global Content Management System and all of the infrastructure supporting those initiatives.
We are running on the latest technologies such as Node.js, GraphQL, Next.js, Docker, and related technologies. Our mission is to change the game of website creation in the world.
In this role, not only will you be able to get your hands on a wide arrange of web technologies within a high performance team - you will also have an impact across the business while working with designers, business stakeholders, and other engineers to ensure we're creating, developing and continuing to deliver the rich web experience our users know and love.
- Backend-focused ownership of projects across Canva’s entire web presence including the design, development, and optimization of the underlying infrastructure
- Web backend infrastructure development utilizing technologies such as Terraform, EC2, S3, Docker, ECS, Aurora, Elasticache, ElasticSearch, Nginx, Varnish
- Produce simple, efficient, reusable code – mindful of new technologies, paradigms, and development methodologies
- Management and optimization of external plugins/services/dependencies of applications and infrastructure (i.e. servers, logs, caching)
- Build new services such as Search, API integrations, node services, WordPress plugins, etc
- Provide technical guidance to product and business teams across the company on the most effective ways of implementing desired requirements
- Maintaining and optimizing existing products and portals
- Provide mentorship and guidance to new starters, graduates, and interns
- Participate in interviews, code reviews, and product planning / strategy activities
- Experience building complex and high-traffic based web portals, applications, and products
- Backend development experience with Node.js, Typescript, PHP, or Java
- Strong understanding of algorithm complexity, data structures, concurrency & systems performance
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of operating systems, networking, and related protocols (especially HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP, SSL, etc)
- Bachelor of Computer Science or a related discipline
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Yoga and in-house gym
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events