Software Engineer - Infrastructure
At Canva, we’re transforming the way the world designs. Canva's user base has grown by over 10x over the last 2 years, and serves millions of users every single month, all over the world, in over 100 languages, and across web and mobile platforms. To maintain high availability, top-notch performance, and the continued scalability of the environment as Canva grows, we've decided to grow our Infrastructure Group. We're seeking self-motivated and talented engineers to join us in our Sydney global HQ.
Stable, scalable, and well-maintained systems are the foundations of our development and design processes. The Infrastructure Group's key responsibilities focus around resilience of our AWS-based environment; the development of tools to automate development tasks and pipelines for building, testing, and deployment; and finally, building shared libraries and services that all our backend engineers use to develop performant and fault tolerant microservices.
We build many of our infrastructure tools from the ground up as opposed to relying on off-the-shelf vendor products, so this would be the great opportunity for a Software and Systems Engineer who is keen to dive into the world of DevOps and Cloud Infrastructure.
- Build automated systems to monitor, repair and scale our infrastructure
Improve continuous testing, building, deploying and releasing
- Develop self-service infrastructure from the ground up to empower our engineering teams to work more efficiently
- Communicate with other teams to figure out the best solutions to their problems
Participate in design meetings, interviews, and code reviews
- Propose new approaches and solutions to ensure we future-proof Canva's distributed cloud infrastructure as we scale up
- Be invariably passionate about performance debugging, benchmarking, building awesome things, and picking up new technologies and skills
Required Skills & Experience
- As a Software Engineering generalist, have some experience with (or a strong desire to work on) Cloud Infrastructure & Systems Engineering projects
- Strong Computer Engineering / Science knowledge around fundamentals and first principles relating to: concurrency, multithreading, data structures, architecture, and various design patterns
- Strong Object Oriented Programming fundamentals
- Advanced coding proficiency in Python and Bash; Java, C#, or C++ Development experience would also be a value add.
- Experience working in Linux cloud-based services in AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure
- An understanding of the DevOps ecosystem concerning tooling, Continuous Delivery, Continuous Integration, Infrastructure as Code
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong soft skills managing both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Be self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership over complex problems and their related solutions.
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Work&have training in Sydney for 1-3 months, cozy apartment is provided
- Delicious lunch provided for us each day
- Fitness membership benefit
- Fancy and friendly offices
- Fun and quirky celebrations