Celebrate and learn about Earth Day at your school by getting students to create and submit their own poster designs as part of a fun contest, all in Canva.
Earth Day is celebrated on April 22nd every year and aims to raise awareness on how to protect the environment. Each of us can contribute to preserving our precious planet and keeping it safe and healthy for generations to come.
The theme for Earth Day 2021 is Restore Our Earth, which focuses on natural processes, emerging green technologies and innovative thinking that can restore the world’s ecosystems.
“It is up to each and everyone of us to Restore Our Earth not just because we care about the natural world but because we live on it. We all need a healthy Earth to support our jobs, livelihoods, health & survival and happiness. A healthy planet is not an option - it is a necessity.”
Therefore, what better way to celebrate Earth Day than running a competition for your students using Canva! Students can create their own unique posters featuring their favorite activities to protect and conserve the Earth’s plants, animals, and natural resources. Here’s how to get started.
First, make sure you’re signed up for Canva for Education, our 100% free product for teachers and their students.
1. Login to your account and invite your students to join your Canva for Education class
2. Click … in the top right corner of your class banner and Create new folder. Create one for the poster submissions, e.g. Earth Day Poster Competition 2021, and make sure it is visible to your class (choose Can Edit option)
3. Get students to login to Canva and search from our range of Earth Day Poster templates and choose one they like.
4. Students can search the elements tab to add photos, graphics, videos, audio and change the text to make the poster their own. They should think about: What does Earth Day mean to you? What will you do to preserve our Earth?
5. Once they have finished, students can submit their poster design to the folder. Make sure they include their name in the title of their design. On the top left nav, click File then Save to folder. Then click Shared with you and select the correct Earth Day folder name.
6. Choose a winning design, and submit to Canva’s social media channels for the chance to win prizes (see below!)
Share your students’ best Earth Day designs with us either via our Twitter handle or our teacher Facebook group. We’ll be giving away print vouchers worth $100 for you to print out your students’ winning designs - you can print posters to put up in the classroom or even print designs on t-shirts!
We can’t wait to see what your students create and how they plan to restore our earth!