Your job as a teacher is to inspire your students. But that leaves you asking one important question: Who’s going to inspire you?
Below, we've sourced 30 of the best inspirational quotes for teachers to keep close by when you're having a lackluster day.
Whether you’ve had a tough week, a long semester or just want a little inspiration at 3:00 pm, these 30 quotes are here to help you fall in love with teaching again and remember why you started in the first place.
1. Teaching isn’t just about knowing your topic…
This is also the perfect response to that infernal, “Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach” quote.
2. For those days you forget why you do what you do
You’ll always affect someone’s life doing what you do. And, that’s what makes it all worth it.
3. Education is a foundation for a better future
Teaching emotional awareness, conflict management and social responsibility encourages students to become better human beings.
4. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
And you are in charge of that preparation.
5. The true reach of your lessons
Your lessons today can be passed on for generations. You aren’t just teaching your current students, but all of the people they will teach and interact with.
6. The Modern Educator
To have the chance to nurture students and enable them to ignite their own flame for learning is an essential aspect of teaching.
7. Because teaching isn’t just a profession…
You’re required to, on a daily basis, give part of yourself to your students. And that’s a true gift in itself.
8. An important realisation
Your job isn’t to fill their heads with knowledge; but to spark an interest and desire to learn about a subject.
9. It’s not just your students who are there to learn
In every lesson give yourself the opportunity to learn from the class in the same way that they learn from you.
10. Remember this next time you feel bad for pushing a student to work it out on their own
You won’t be there to help them all the time; they need to understand the process of learning for themselves.
11. Because bad days happen
Get up, dust yourself off and start again from a fresh perspective.
12. A new way of looking at your job
Awaken the passion that you have for your subject – or learning – in the students in front of you.
13. Think of this next time you get irritated by a question
Questions lead to: inventions, discoveries, changes in the status quo and everything in between. Help your students to not accept everything they hear, or see, as fact.
14. The gift that keeps on giving
Learning new things is certainly exciting and scary at the same time, but should always be encouraged. Because, whether it was a good or a bad experience, a life-lesson lasts forever.
15. For when it feels like you’re just not getting through to anybody
Turn up every day and do what you do best. You’ll be influencing someone better than you ever imagine. You may never see them open the gift, but they will, and there is solace in that.
16. There’s no competition in the classroom
Learning is a process: there are no winners, only the growth of that student within their own minds.
17. Learning doesn’t finish when the bell rings
Give your students food for thought – and opportunities – to learn outside of the classroom. Not everything in life can be found on a sheet of paper.
18. Lessons in life from a 16 year old
The act of making a change – to the world, a student or a school – takes no time at all, you just have to take action.
19. The recipe for a good lesson
A gallon of coffee can be added to the mix at your own discretion.
20. Because sometimes you just need to know how important you are
Superheroes don’t all wear capes.
21. It’s not always about the lesson plan…
If you inspire, ignite and interact with your students’ passions, you’ll leave an impression far beyond the end of the school day.
22. …it’s about who you are as a teacher
We all have a teacher we still think about. A teacher who gave us a chance to understand and enjoy a subject. We might have forgotten the lessons, but we’ll never forget the teacher.
23. Sometimes you have to accept this fact
You can’t inspire every student. You can only do your best to give them what they need in the time you work together.
24. The importance of reading outside the classroom
Because not all lessons are found on a syllabus.
25. For you and your students
Whether you’re stuck with a lesson plan, feel like you’ve messed up a class or want to impart the importance of getting things wrong to your students, you’d do well to remember this quote.\
Learn more about how teachers can use Canva Pro features for free with Canva for Education.
26. The raw power of being a teacher
The classroom isn’t just about math or science or english it’s about the world beyond the walls.
27. Flipping that ‘problem child’ idea on it’s head
If they aren’t being empowered at home do what you can to empower them at school.
28. There are smart people everywhere…
…but finding the ones who care about you is the hardest part of it all. Be that teacher.
29. If in doubt, keep moving forward
Know what you want to achieve. Break it down to its smallest actionable chunk and then go do it.
30. One final thought