To make your next English lesson fun and engaging, we’ve created a free lesson plan that incorporates a comic book activity to teach students about the principles of Imagined Narrative. The characteristics of narrative writing include building a: Character, plot line, conflict, setting, and point of view.
In this free and downloadable lesson plan, students will learn:
- The fundamentals of Imagined Narrative. They will learn to incorporate the setting, characters, and dialogue in order to build their own story.
- How to develop and write a comic book. Students will learn how to use visual elements to help tell their story.
- How to incorporate grammar and tone of voice into their writing. While participating in this fun activity, students will still need to use correct grammar, and channel the tone of voice used in comics to produce a finished piece of writing.
Students will then be given an activity, where they can use Canva to create their own visual poem. To take part in this lesson, students will require the following:
- Access to a computer or mobile device
- Internet connection
- A Canva login
- A projector or interactive whiteboard
To take the lesson one step further, have students create a film or animation that will bring their comic book to life. They can include a link to what they have made as a QR code on the bottom of their comic book. Or, you can ask students to write a traditional narrative that accompanies the comic book.
For more on this lesson, download the PDF Lesson Plan.